|With the Beatles|
|Released||22 November 1963|
|Studio||EMI Studios, London|
|Genre||Rock and roll, Pop rock, Soul, Merseybeat|
Please Please Me (album)
A Hard Day's Night (album)
With the Beatles is the second studio album by the English rock the Beatles. It was recorded from July 18 - October 23, 1963 and was released on November 22, 1963 on the Parlophone label. Produced by George Martin, the album features eight original compositions (seven by Lennon-McCartney, and one by George Harrison. It was his first recorded solo composition and his first on a Beatles album) and six cover (mostly of Motown, rock-n-roll and R&B hits). The cover photograph was taken by the fashion photographer Robert Freeman and has since been mimicked by several musical groups over the years. A different cover was used for the Australian release of the album, with the displeased with.
In the United States, the album's tracks were unevenly split over the group's first two albums released on Capitol Records: Meet the Beatles! and The Beatles' Second Album. It was also released in Canada under the name Beatlemania! With the Beatles.
Recording[edit | edit source]
Unlike Please Please Me, the bulk of whose track (10 of the 14, excluding previously issued singles) were recorded in one day, With the Beatles was recorded over seven sessions across three months, from July 18 to October 23. None of its 14 tracks were issued as singles in the UK. In between sessions, as Beatlemania took off across the UK, the group were busy with radio, TV, and live performances.
Tracks[edit | edit source]
All songs written by Lennon/McCartney except where noted.
Side one[edit | edit source]
|1||It Won't Be Long||Lennon with McCartney||Lennon||2:13|
|2||All I've Got to Do||Lennon||Lennon||2:04|
|3||All My Loving||McCartney||McCartney||2:09|
|4||Don't Bother Me||Harrison||Harrison||2:29|
|5||Little Child||Lennon and McCartney||Lennon and McCartney||1:48|
|6||Till There Was You||Meredith Wilson||McCartney||2:16|
|7||Please Mr. Postman||Georgia Dobbins, William Garrett, Freddie Gorman, Brian Holland, Robert Bateman||Lennon||2:36|
Side two[edit | edit source]
|1||Roll Over Beethoven||Chuck Berry||Harrison||2:47|
|2||Hold Me Tight||McCartney with Lennon||McCartney||2:32|
|3||You Really Got a Hold on Me||Smokey Robinson||Lennon and Harrison||3:02|
|4||I Wanna Be Your Man||McCartney with Lennon||Starr||1:59|
|5||Devil in Her Heart||Richard P. Drapkin||Harrison||2:27|
|6||Not a Second Time||Lennon||Lennon||2:08|
|7||Money (That's What I Want)||Janie Bradford, Berry Gordy||Lennon||2:46|
Personnel[edit | edit source]
- John Lennon: lead vocals, harmony vocals, background vocals, rhythm guitar (1958 Rickenbacker 325), acoustic guitar (1962 Gibson J-160E), harmonica, hand claps; tambourine on "Don't Bother Me", nylon-string acoustic guitar on "Till There Was You", Hammond organ on "I Wanna Be Your Man"
- Paul McCartney: lead vocals, harmony vocals, background vocals, bass guitar (1961 Hofner 500/1), hand claps; claves on "Don't Bother Me", piano on "Little Child"
- George Harrison: lead vocals, harmony vocals, background vocals, lead guitar (1962 Gretsch Country Gentleman), acoustic guitar (Gibson J-160E), hand claps, nylon-string acoustic guitar (1950 Jose Ramirez DeEstudio) on "Till There Was You"
- Ringo Starr: drums (1963 Ludwig Downbeat Black Oyster Pearl), tambourine, maracas, hand claps; lead vocals on "I Wanna Be Your Man", Arabian loose-skin bongo on "Till There Was You" and Don't Bother Me"
- Robert Freeman: cover photograph
- George Martin: arrangements, production, and mixing; piano on "You Really Got a Hold on Me", "Not a Second Time" and "Money (That's What I Want")
- Norman Smith: engineering and mixing
Instruments[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This album was released the same day that John F. Kennedy Died